Thursday, April 2, 2020

Eliminating Capitalism - A Discussion Invitiation

If we want to eliminate capitalism what does that mean exactly?  To me Capitalism isn't a thing, it is a theory to explain human behavior.  The exact nature of Capitalism has varied from from culture to culture and even within cultures over time.  Capitalism in the United States was a lot different in the 1950's and 1960's from the Capitalism we have today.  So I would like to understand exactly what it is folks want to eliminate.  

First a couple caveats - I think government should regulate the private sector to prevent exploitation or excessive speculation.  I also absolutely think Government should manage healthcare.  Healthcare and the profit motive are fundementally incompatible.  

But beyond health care I have alot of questions about what folks anticipate if we eliminate Capitalism.  Here are some that spring to mind.

1.  If I want to start a business, can I do it?  Do I have to get government approval?

2.  If I want to get other people to invest to give me the capital to get the business up and running can I do it?  Or do I have to go to government to get funding?

3.  Will there be a stock market?  If not what becomes of all the money people have invested in the stock market?

4.  Will government decide who runs major industries?  Will Elon Musk still run Tesla?  Or will running Tesla become a poltical perk of some bureacrat who helps the adminstration get elected?

5.  Are there other industries besides health care government should manage?  

6.  With healthcare and other economic activities we decide government should manage, what should governments role be?   Micromanaging from top to bottom?  Or carrots and sticks (incentives and prohibitions) to guide organizations run by private citizens?


No comments: