Monday, May 24, 2010

Putting 2 and 2 together

Observation #1 - I fill up my trash can in a few days with all the junk mail I get every week. Much of it is catalogs directed to people that haven't lived here for years, even though I have done everything I can to let the senders know their mail is being wasted. It seems clear that it costs more money for a business to update their mailing list than it does to just keep mailing - for year after year.

Observation #2 - it now costs me somewhere over $.40 to send a couple of sheets of paper by mail. From what I could determine at the post office web site it costs as little as $.11 for a business using bulk mail.

Observation #3 - The post office is in financial crises.

Fervent hope #1 - The post office will price bulk mail more realistically so that businesses won't be filling up my mailbox with forests full of paper I don't want.

Reality check #1 - Won't happen. After all, business runs the country.

No comments: