Thursday, February 25, 2010

Government Health Care

Food for thought. Of the people ranting about not wanting to let Government get involved in their health care, how many have any experience with Government Health Care? I don't know, but as I started thinking about how many different programs there are,I suspect many Americans have experienced "socialized" medicine without really thinking about it. Here are the major health care systems I can think of that are Government run.

1. The Veterans administration. According to a 2007 ABC news report the VA health care system, which serves some 5 million veterans and their families, has become one of the best health care systems in America at providing economical quality health care. Being a veteran myself I must admit to having a pretty negative image of the VA, but as I reflect on recent personal experience taking my Dad to VA appointments, the quality of care did seem pretty good, despite the Wal-Mart'ish ambiance.

2. The Military. It has been many decades since my stint in the Army. My recollections of my experiences with Army doctors and hospitals were they lacked in frills and you didn't get much TLC, but you got what you needed, and I am pretty sure the Army was doing it pretty cheaply.

3. Medi-care. A huge system, from what I understand virtually every person over age 65 is required to subscribe by private health insurers. So effectively, at that point in life where almost everyone starts needing lots of health care, private insurers start passing the cost of health care on to Government.

So, I guess the way our system works is the Government does all the dirty work, takes care of Veterans, Military folks and old folks, while private insurers cherry pick the people that need the least health care. Sound about right?

No comments: